Jump to navigation
FRM: Fort Own, Flathead Village- St. Mary's in 1853, color lithograph from a drawing by John Mix Stanley
Stanley, John Mix
Harold Allen, "Father Ravalli's Missions," 1972, The Good Lion Press, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
gelatin silver prints
Fort Owen--Flathead Village--St Mary's in 1853. Color lithograph from a drawing by John Mix Stanley. Reports of Exploration and Surveys..., XII-1, Plate XXX. In the distance (just above the mounted Indian's head) is Fort Owen; to our left (west), and beyond them the cottonwoods along the banks of the Bitterroot (then St. Mary's) River. The scattered cabins are the 'Flathead Village.' Thirteen years later the new St. Mary's would be built behind us and to the right. Newberry Library.
The RBSC does not own a print of this image